Sevilla won a well-deserved victory over Man United to enter the semi-finals of this year’s Europa League. Here are the notable statistics about this match.
– Since the Champions League was renamed the Europa League for the 2009/10 season, Sevilla have reached the semi-finals of the Europa League more than any other team (5 times). In the previous 4 semi-finals, they were all crowned champions (2013/14, 2014/15, 2015/16 and 2019/20).
– Manchester United have not won in 5 matches against Sevilla in the European Cup (draw 2 lost 3). This is MU’s longest winless streak when meeting an opponent in the history of participating in the European Cup.
– For the sixth consecutive season, Manchester United were eliminated in the knockout round of the European Cup by a Spanish team. 3 of them came from Sevilla (2017/18, 2019/20 and 2022/23).
– This is the first time Manchester United have been eliminated in the quarter-finals of the Europa League. MU is the team that won the ticket to continue in the previous 3 C2 quarter-finals.
– Manchester United made 2 direct errors leading to the goal against Sevilla. This is the second time that MU has made more than 1 error leading to a goal in a match this season (after a 0-4 loss to Brentford at the beginning of the season).
In the semi-finals of the Europa League, Sevilla will face Juventus. Meanwhile, the other semi-final pair will be the confrontation between Roma and Bayer Leverkusen.
Being knocked out of the European Cup will help Man United’s schedule to reduce the load at the end of the season after they have been stretched in recent times. MU still has hope of winning the FA Cup and will play in the semi-final against Brighton this weekend.